@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season

Go down

D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season Empty D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 pm

If you want to start seperating the haves from the have nots at 3/4 point of the season for POY I would submit my Top 5, AS OF RIGHT NOW, AS:

1) DEAD HEAT TIE between Jack Preston and Eric Gendron. Both have been very impressive in the last couple of weeks with big victories over upper echelon teams. Both of these players are putting their teams on their backs. You can make the argument if you take Jack Preston off South and Eric Gendron off Merrimack and these 2 teams played south would probably win by 15 to 20 points. When they both played in this game on Jan. 4th South won 51 to 45.

3) Troy Pelletier of Central. He might not have the week in and week out stat lines of the Preston and Gendron, but hoopsters in NH know what Pelletier means to Central. Is there any one else in D1 you would rather have taking a big shot in the last 2 minutes of a close game than Pelletier? He has ice in his veins in a close game and the rest of the Little Green feed off of him.

4) Mabor Gabriel of Trinity. He has had some great stat lines in the last couple of weeks leading Trinity to some victories over upper echelon teams like Memorial, BG and Alvirne. He stepped up his game at the start of the year as Trinity's starting five formed as one of the most formidable in D1. His shot blocking and shot altering has been very impressive this year. You can't stress enough that in any given game Gabriel either blocks or mentally alters between 10 to 15 opponents shots in the paint. THIS IS HUGE. His defensive verticallity is #1 amongst the Top 5 candidates. In POY talk defense is always secondary. Not for me.

5) Jeff Lunn of BG. He was the #1 scorer for the longest time in D1. In the last week he has been surpassed by Preston and Gendron. It doesn't help his team has also lost to Preston and Gendron's teams in the last couple of weeks. BG has also lost to Trinity. This doesn't help lunn's cause either. Ardent BG supporters would say he is on a scoring island and take him away from BG then what would you have? Fair enough, but in person I saw Preston force his basketball will on Lunn at North last Sunday. BG is in 7th right now. Tyler Gendron won the POY last season and Merrimack was the 7th place team. That was a real head scratcher. I assure you that vote was strange. Actually the whole system for POY voting is controversial and very interesting. BG looks at this point to be a 6th to 8th place club. At this point I doubt if a POY will come from a team in this part of the seedings.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season Empty Re: D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Honorable Mention:

Dominic Paradis of Spaulding: Losses to Central and Salem hurt. Check out the last 4 games for Spaulding: Merrimack, BG, South and Memorial..... Yikes !!! ..... I'll tell you what. If Spaulding goes 4 - 0 in these last 4 games and Paradis scores 20 to 30 points/game and puts the Red Raiders and Justin McIsaac on his back, then we'll do some more talking about Paradis for POY.

Kaleb Marquis of Concord: Yes, if he was on another team. Yes, if he had better support. Yes, if you take him off concord they are probably a D2 or D3 team. POY winners don't have the word IF associated with them.

Tyler Livingston of Alvirne: He has really stepped up his game in the last month. The problem is the rest of his team have to step up their game also and get some signature wins for Livingston to even sneak into the Top 5.

Tong Akot of Memorial: If Tulliver even utters one word associating Akot with POY, the term:

"Basketball Credibility Questioned" will be relayed from myself to Tulliver. It's tough to win the POY when you're in street clothes. No Kante, No Eddows and sometimes no Akot equals a sinking POY discussion for Akot, correct Tulliver?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season Empty Re: D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season

Post  The Edge on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Two horse race at this point in my opinion. Gendron and Gabriel. Gendron accounts for almost 35% of his teams offense to Gabriel's 24%. No other leading candidates are over 29%. But I do agree that defense should be considered as heavily as offense in the POY calculation. Which would favor Gabriel except for the fact that Merrimack is the #1 DPPG team in D1. Which leading candidate if you took him off the team would have the most adverse effect to the teams standing?
You take gabriel away from Trinity and they are still top half of D1. You take Gendron away from Merrimack bottom third.

Jack Preston is a great player but he may not even be their "Preston of the Year". I have seen South play twice and in both cases I would say Tim had a better game. Jack may score more points but I would bet the house on Tim having significantly more assists. But i am always partial to point guard play.

But I also think these arguments are more MVP than POY. The best "basketball player" I have seen this year is Pelliter. He has complete game and is strong in all 5 skill sets (scoring,passing,defending,ball handling, and rebounding)

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:25 pm

the great thing is that Central still has to play Trinity and South.

I believe these 2 games will go a long way in deciding who the POY is.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Preston is not even in consideration for me. How quickly we forget that he was suspended and called for a flagrant or something similar in the BG game. I do not think is a quality admirable in a player of the year candidate. Also it seems like he either scores or rebounds rarely both at the same time.

I feel this vote will come down to Lunn and Gendron; Gabriel, Pellieter, Akot, and others are in the conversation.

T&F, I'm going to respond to your evaluation and make my case for Lunn. You are very eager to point out BG's losses to Trinity, Merrimack, and South, yet you seem to forget the numbers Lunn still put up in those games. In each game he had 20+ points and 15+ rebounds. If anything those losses can NOT be pinned on that him he did his part, but his teammates did not back him up. Therefore, should NOT be held against him in the POY voting. You also refer to BG as an "upper echelon" team, yet belittle them for losing to Trinity, Merrimack, and South. If I sound harsh I apologize.

I'm just confused how Lunn's case for POY is diminished for playing the best he can against the best teams and coming up short because he can't play all 5 positions at once. Now this argument goes for any player, but lets be consistent and fair to each player.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 pm

T&F
Incorrect.

Do not count Mr. Akot out of the POY discussion. He is as in style as GNG's Maroon and Gold gym attire.

However, I have Pelletier a little bit higher on my list.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season Empty D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season

Post  amcman7 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm

5) Paradis - Great player with a lot of skill, but he just can't seem to get his team to win those games against quality opponents.

4) Lunn - Another great player with a lot of skill, but once again, he just can't seem to get his team to beat the better teams. However, he gets the higher vote, because after seeing both teams play a couple times, I think BG will beat Spaulding.

3) Gabriel - He can be a nightmare for any team to cover, and he is an excellent player. My problem with putting him higher than 3 is that he is 6'7" and should dominate all the time, not just half the season. Yes, throughout the season, every player has some tough games, but at his height there is no one in the state who should be able to compete with him.

2 & 1) Gendron & Pelletier - As far as I'm concerned, they are basically the same player. Long, athletic, high basketball IQ, can shoot, can rebound, can dribble, and can get to the rim. I believe Pelletier is a better defender and is more explosive (but he's also a year older). The reason I give Pelletier the nod over Gendron is "efficiency". Pelletier doesn't take a lot of shots each game, and he still gets the points expected. Lastly, I believe that if you switched these two players, Pelletier would still get his points, but Gendron would struggle. This comment is more about the team than the player. I've seen Merrimack and Central play multiple times; Merrimack's offense makes it much easier to score, and they make sure Gendron get's easy shots. "For the most part", Central does not focus on getting Pelletier the ball, and he still scores.

As for Preston, he's not on my list for one reason only "suspension". I completely agree with "The Observer", any player that has been suspended does not deserve POY. Getting suspended is a selfish act and should not be rewarded. We talk so much about POY being a team player and making his team better, well, you can't make your team better when your sitting on the bench.

amcman7
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeafPanther07 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

The short list for POY for me and not in any particular order, season is not over yet with some key games still to play for all these teams.

Eric Gendron

Mike Plentzas: yes I have him on my list! Averaging 10 pts a game and is one of the best shut down defenders in the state! He was on Lates last night for some parts of the game and Lates couldn't score at will, really struggled to get open. Plentzas also has great all around skill on offense, drives well and knocks down 3s.

Dominic Paradis

Troy Pelletier

Mabor Gabriel

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm

"You also refer to BG as an "upper echelon" team, yet belittle them for losing to Trinity, Merrimack, and South"
The Observer

Belittle is your choice of words, Observer. I'm just pointing out facts, not belittling them. I think you have chosen the wrong word and are trying to put incorrect words coming from me.

"yet you seem to forget the numbers Lunn still put up in those games. In each game he had 20+ points and 15+ rebounds."
The Observer

In this instance Lunn did this against South when preston was sitting most of the time in the 2nd half with foul trouble and quite frankly when the South - Bg game was over as most observers saw who were in attendance like myself, GNG, Pete Tarrier and Jeremy. When the game really counted in the first half Jack Preston put the game away and totally had Lunn in his pocket.

"Preston is not even in consideration for me. How quickly we forget that he was suspended and called for a flagrant or something similar in the BG game. I do not think is a quality admirable in a player of the year candidate."
The Observer

What you or I think about his suspension makes no difference in the POY voting. The 20 head coaches in D1 vote for the POY. I DO NOT HAVE A VOTE. Although I was honored last season when people thought I had a vote for POY, I don't. I assure you the majority of D1 coaches don't put as much weight into suspensions as you and other Forum members do for the POY vote. In last year's vote for POY, Ryan Gauthier finished 4th in the voting. He wasn't too far behind Tyler Gendron. Ryan Gauthier missed a lot more games due to suspension than Jack Preston has this year. I will submit to you the coaches look at the on court performance and in most instances don't hold a suspension (s) against players when they cast their vote. You can squak about Preston's suspension all you want and how it is a detriment to Jack Preston, but in the end, the ones with a vote that count, either minimally consider it or not at all. That is fact.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm

"Now this argument goes for any player, but lets be consistent and fair to each player."
The Observer

I am being fair to each player and fail to see where you try to make this stick on me. Don't confuse passion for a relative, horse in the race or your team with reality. I am fair to all players on this Forum. I'm just stating my opinion honestly and succinctly. If you disagree with me that's fine, but PLEASE DO NOT say I'm not treating players fairly because it doesn't fall within your Yellow Brick Road.

FYI - I was talking to GNG today, who bleeds Green n Gold as much as any one. He didn't know I had posted the 3/4 POY thread. Before I told him my Top 5 I asked him who his top couple of candidates were. He said Eric Gendron and Jack Preston. When I told him I had them in a dead heat for #1, he said, "That makes a lot of sense." This coming from some one who you know what the letters GNG stand for.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks for the interesting posts….Enjoyed reading each of them.
Gendron, Lunn, Pelletier and Paradis

Lunn - as I've stated before I am impressed with his numbers for pts & rebounds throughout the season & staying up on the leader board for pts scored. But more impressed with the player and character of this kid. Leader of a young team takes hard work and patience.

Gendron & Pelletier - Great reasons for both of these players in amcman7's post - well said and agree with your points. won't waste anyone's time with my "casual" rantings.

Paradis for what everyone thinks about him on this forum and his numbers, since I haven't been able to see him this year at a game. It will be fun to see him in the playoffs!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with amcman7 and the observer regarding Preston. I won't post my reasons since my opinion may vary from others on how I judge play on the court versus numbers recorded.

Good luck to the D1 coaches in their votes this year. I followed this forum the last 2 years when all the discussions were going on. It's interesting to see the outcomes versus the banter on here throughout a season. Some are spot on, others not so much, but remember each person may look for something different in how they form their opinions. I know I do.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 pm

@T&F - I am deeply sorry if I offended you. I definitely chose my words incorrectly, and looking back would have probably rethought my statements. Also, the "fair" was not meant to be directed at you personally, but at the argument we make for each player for POY. I meant that every argument we make for each player should be made for all the others to cover the same stat categories or points of emphasis, otherwise there is no baseline for how to judge these players. I did NOT try to direct that statement at you what-so-ever, and I am sorry if it came across that way.

I should also say that I have seen Lunn play the most out of every player that it is the discussion. But this may be one of the closest years for POY that I can remember, because each person that has been mentioned in this tread has an argument. Thank god I do not have a vote.

Once again I would like to apologize to T&F.

Have a great weekend to all! and enjoy the hopefully snowless weekend!

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 POY at the 3/4 Point of the Season Empty Of the top five POY candidates who do you think has the best supporting cast? Can you rank the cast?

Post  Franzchize23 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 am

I've seen Merrimack the most ( and they're a young team) but I've seen them all play a good amount.

Franzchize23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum