@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

2012 D2 Baseball Playoffs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2012 D2 Baseball Playoffs

Post  SeacoastDad on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Here's the article about Terry Dugdale's injury and his future plans:

http://www.nh-highschoolsports.com/souhegan-valley/souhegans-dugdale-helping-sabers-despite-arm-injury

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Bedford 5, Goffstown 4

Post  BHS Bulldog Dad on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:01 am

Exciting game at St. A's yesterday, coming down to the final out. Goffstown came up for their last at bat down 5-2 but the 2-3-4 hitters all reached to load the bases with no outs. With 2 outs, runners on first and second, and a 5-4 score, Tyler Bars hit a hard shot in the hole between third and short. Third baseman Ben Philbrick made a diving play to his left, getting up and throwing the runner out at first on a scoop by Will Hughes. Great work on both ends. Will had several good scoops at first yesterday and many all year.

Bedford scored their last 3 runs on a ground out, sac fly, and suicide squeeze. The last run was a shame for Goffstown, as Bedford entered the 7th up 4-2 and the leadoff runner reached on an error, went to second on a wild pitch, moved to third on a sac bunt, and scored on Philbrick's suicide squeeze. That proved to be the winning run. I t was the only error for either team in the entire game. Well played game and well coached on both ends. Both teams showed the kind of respect for the game you like to see in a close, emotional, and important game like this. Both teams had plenty of opportunities to win this one, as each team stranded 10 base runners.

Goffstown is going to be tough to beat next year, losing only 3 seniors to graduation, although I'm sure Connor Shaw's bat will be sorely missed. But Tyler Bars will arguably be the top pitcher in the division next year. I saw him hit top out at 89 against Bedford, and I heard (second hand info) that the Bryant coach gunned him against Hollis-Brookline and he topped out at 92. And he throws effortlessly.

BHS Bulldog Dad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:22 am

Sounds like a great game. Thursday's D-2 semifinal doubleheader should be fun -- Portsmouth v Lebanon at 4:00 and Bedford v (presumably) St. Thomas at 7:00pm. Here's hoping for sunny sunny sunny

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  BHS Bulldog Dad on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 am

SeacoastDad - how's the weather looking in Dover today? Do you think you guys will be able to get the game in today? How are the field conditions?

BHS Bulldog Dad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:15 am

Bulldog Dad-

Weather in Dover is better today, though not good. We're covering the D4 PCA vs Lisbon game, also in Dover, and they've moved that game to 3:30 to stay ahead of any rain.

I think STA will be able to get their game in, though their field is in a bit of a valley and has a tough time draining.

We'll have the Portsmouth vs Lebanon game Thursday, and if STA wins today, we'll actually have a double header Thursday on WTSN Very Happy

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BHS Bulldog Dad on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am

Justin - I listened to the second St. Thomas - Portsmouth game on your station. Glad to hear these games will be on. I'm hoping to make it to St. Thomas v Pembroke today. I've never seen Pembroke's ace, Autrey Gates, but I've read lots of good things about him. I hear he's got a very good strike out and walk ratio per inning. It should make for a good, competitive game. It's good to know if I get tied up in work, at least I'll be able to listen to it.

BHS Bulldog Dad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 pm

BHS Bulldog Dad wrote:Justin - I listened to the second St. Thomas - Portsmouth game on your station. Glad to hear these games will be on. I'm hoping to make it to St. Thomas v Pembroke today. I've never seen Pembroke's ace, Autrey Gates, but I've read lots of good things about him. I hear he's got a very good strike out and walk ratio per inning. It should make for a good, competitive game. It's good to know if I get tied up in work, at least I'll be able to listen to it.

B-Dad: Justin is doing the Portsmouth Christian vs. Lisbon game today, not the St. Thomas game. He can't get a good signal from STA's field.

Also, check your messages on this site - I just sent you one.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D2

Post  NH12345 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 pm

I can't believe no one has posted on the Lebanon win yesterday. Great win for a program that has been on the door step for a while and a tip of the hat to Portsmouth for its year after year dominance.

I also heard a rumor that even if Portsmouth had won they game they would have had to forfeit because Holt pitched into the 10th inning. Was anyone at the game? Did Holt collect the first out of the 10th inning? NHIAA rules are very clear about no more than 9 innings in a day and that one pitch does not constitute an inning. So, if he did get the first out of the inning then they would have lost regardless of the outcome of the game.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  BHS Bulldog Dad on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes, it is true that Holt pitched into the 10th inning. He did not record an out. The first batter reached second on a throwing error by the third baseman, and the second batter reached on a ground ball to short, where the SS tried to cut down the runner going to third. Everyone was safe. At that point Holt was lifted. I heard rumor that the Lebanon coach had filed a protest because Holt was still in the game in the 10th, but I don't know the rules as to what would have happened if Lebanon had not won anyway.

But hats off to both Brady Boisvert and Rick Holt, and both Portsmouth and Lebanon. It was a great game to watch. I only wish an unearned run did not decide the game.

Congrats to St. Thomas also. Jordan Bean pitched a great game, shutting out Bedford on 2 hits.

It should be a great game between Boisvert and Bean next Saturday. Good luck to both teams.

BHS Bulldog Dad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Forfeit?

Post  Bert54the1 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:05 pm

If Holt was pulled at that point, first and third and 0 outs in the tenth, than it would not have been a forfeit. If Portsmouth managed to get out of the 10th unscathed then win it, it was ok.

According to the NHIAA web-site, (in this case, the more than 9 innings rule) innings are based on "thirds." Holt's line still reads 9 innings. No outs were recorded. It's not an inning.

Was Lebanon incorrect in protesting BEFORE Holt recorded an out?

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Clearly a "spirit of the rule" vs. "letter of the rule" type incident. It's disheartening that that Portsmouth coach would knowingly do something like this. The 9-inning per game has been in effect for a couple of years - this year the 15 innings in 7 days vs. 15 innings in entire tourney was changed. At some level you have to draw a line between wanting to win and protecting the player. One would think the coach puts himself into an interesting situation if either "A" the player gets hurt going more than 9 and "B" having to explain to his team after the fact that his decision cost the team a chance to win the game.

Protests are an "odd" occurrence. No one wants them and in this case, I believe totally preventable. BHS - if Portsmouth had won, their victory would have been wiped out. Imagine if they were still on that win streak and this decision cost them that - ouch!

Couple of questions for anyone that was there. Was the game stopped at all? Or was the protest just lodged and the game moved along?

From the P&P:
35. PROTEST PROCEDURE AT STATE TOURNAMENTS:
During State Tournament play AT NEUTRAL SITES, there shall be no appeals of protests to the
Executive Director. All protests shall be resolved at the game site at the time of the protest and the Protest
Committee will be made up of a representative from the NHIAA Baseball Committee and the officials
involved in the game. During State Tournament Play at the home of the higher seed protests shall be
resolved by consulting with the Rules Interpreter who will be available via phone during prelim and
quarterfinal contests.

and

25. PITCHING RULE – Regular Season and Tournament: The following rule applies to all levels of
baseball (Freshman, Junior Varsity and Varsity) and is effect for this baseball season.
A. A pitcher who throws more than five (5) innings in a day must have three (3) full days of rest before
pitching again.
NOTE 1: Just one (1) pitch more than five (5) innings constitutes more than five (5) innings.
NOTE 2: For the purpose of this rule a pitcher who appears in more than five (5) innings must have three
(3) full days of rest before pitching again.
i.e.: A pitcher who appears in more than five (5) innings on Monday cannot pitch again until Friday.
B. A pitcher shall throw no more than fifteen (15) innings in a seven (7) day period with no more than nine
(9) innings in a day.
NOTE 1: One (1) pitch does not constitute an inning. Total innings are figured in thirds (1/3) of an inning.
NOTE 2: It is not a violation if a double or triple play puts the pitcher over the fifteen (15) -inning limit in
a seven-day period. (i.e. pitcher has pitched 14 2/3 innings and a double play occurs or 14 1/3 innings and a
triple play occurs.)
i.e.: Take the day the pitcher is going to pitch and count back seven (7) days including that day. Count the
number of innings that the pitcher has pitched during this period. This will give the number of innings
available to the pitcher that day.
C. Doubleheader rule:
1. A pitcher who throws more than five (5) innings in the first game of a double header cannot pitch
in the second game.
2. This rule applies to two separate games played on the same day regardless of opponent (s). This
rule applies to suspended games as well.
D. Any team in violation of rules A, B, and C above shall forfeit games in which a violation occurs.
E. Coaches shall keep updated pitching summaries and dates.
F. The twenty-four (24) hour limit for protests of violations does not apply to the Pitching Rule.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

The Answer

Post  Clipper29 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:20 pm

I'll answer this one, since it was me who was at fault. To state it plainly and simply, I lost track of the inning on my personal scorecard, and thinking it was the 9th inning, sent Rick Holt back out to the mound. There was no intent to violate a rule or misunderstanding about what the rule states, it was a simple combination of no working scoreboard in the stadium and my own inability to count to nine. I am very fortunate that the game dictated a pitching change in the inning before an out was made, as I would have had a hard time living with myself if my dumb mistake had cost our players a chance at victory. (That should also answer any question as to the success of our program - good players is the answer, certainly not a smart coach.)

Congratulations again to Coach Ashley and the entire Lebanon program, and best of luck to both Leb and STA in the finals next Saturday.

Tim Hopley
Head Baseball Coach
Portsmouth High School

Clipper29
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:30 pm

I would expect as much from Coach Hopley....total class act. Congrats on the success of your great program.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I agree with Crazy Carl regarding Coach Hopley.

From a fan's perspective, it was very frustrating to watch two state semi-final games without a scoreboard. I can only guess that there was some sort of electrical malfunction due to the storm that rolled through earlier in the day.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for the explanation coach! Above and beyond. So much speculation on these boards and blogs, it's nice to get the real data. It sounds like it was an awesome, well played, quick game, so it's easy to understand how one could lost track of innings. Too bad the venue had issues with the scoreboard - that's the part of game management that makes the NHIAA want to play at F-Cat Stadium I guess. I watch a lot of games at Holman and even that scoreboard has multiple problems during the year (say nothing of getting a "volunteer" to run it).

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm

We've got the D2 Title game tomorrow, 7:00 pm first pitch on WTSN AM 1270, or wtsnam1270.com if you're out of the listening area. We'll also talk with STA Coach Marc Schoff during "McIsaac on Sports", which is from 10-11 am on WTSN- we'll talk with Coach Schoff around 10:15.

Also, we might have a Special Guest Color Commentator for the game, but that's still in the air- stay tuned....

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:24 am

Congratulations to St. Thomas on winning the D-2 Championship! I couldn't make it over, but I knew with Justin's call of the game it would feel just like being there!

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum