New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1.

+2
EBlessNHSP
GNG
6 posters

Go down

Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1. Empty Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1.

Post  GNG Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 am

Timberlane, Concord, and Keene should move down to division 2.

It's time.

It would make d1 that much more competitive, and would give Timby, Concord, and Keene a chance to win a few more games.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1. Empty Re: Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1.

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:27 am

PHS has only been in DII for what, 6 or 7 years? Are you talking ALL sports GNG? Doesn't the NHIAA do it on a sport by sport basis?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1. Empty Re: Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1.

Post  GNG Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 am

Hoops.

There are more then a few people who believe Portsmouth could win d1 this season.

Also, Division one was Pathetic this season.

Next year will be worse.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 am

You could have said the same thing about Milford the last 2 years. Look where they are this year in the same Division.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Portsmouth has been good for like 4 or 5 years.

Bedford is solid.

Pembroke with Alosa will always be a top team.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I believe I heard Bedford basketball will be in D1 next season. Their HS has been opened for a bit and their enrollment and development of their basketball program might dictate them moving up to D1 next season.

1) With their height they will certainly get their share of rebounds and wins in D1 next season.

2) I see all kinds of new Forum members coming on board to the Forum next season:

BedfordBasketballBoy

BulldogBasketball

BedfordBulldogBasketball

HoopHeaveninBedford

BedfordBasketballDad

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I just get the feeling Portsmouth is very comfortable being very successful in D2 sports and will stay in D2.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm

I think Bedford should all ready be d 1 based on school size and d 2 for football. Not to mention they'd compete. Portsmouth has dominated just about every sport since they've come down so I agree with that. Pembroke I'd question they are always up top yes because they have a good coaching and talent but they do have a very weak schedule year in and year out, I don't think they'd have as much success as the other two teams. Sure they'd be a huge upgrade from timby and probably the other teams you mentioned but don't think it'd benefit them at all.

Last edited by bigman44 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:47 pm

I am just saying that d1 would be alot better if those teams moved up.

T@F, you forgot bedfordhoops

bedfordhoops11

bedfordhoopsguy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 pm

"Also, Division one was Pathetic this season.

Next year will be worse.."
GNG

I just took a quick look at 13 of the 16 teams that made the tournament who's rosters I knew relatively well. Roughly 36 to 38 (injuries/bouncing between starter to 6th man) of the 65 starters were seniors or nearly 60%.

Of the top 22 players I picked for my All State teams, 12 on 1st-2nd teams and 10 on honorable mention, 12 are seniors.

It would seem D1 would take a one or two step drop next season.

So, if your're from Bedford, Portsmouth and Pembroke, then come up and join the D1 basketball party next season!!! bounce Basketball drunken cheers sunny flower Basketball Laughing Basketball

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:12 pm

As we all know, these things go in cycles (see the comment above re Milford). Portsmouth could quite possibly be next year's Milford. Their top 7 players are seniors, and they have no size whatsoever at the end of the bench, and very little in the JV program. True, Portsmouth is comfortable being the 3rd or 4th largest school in Division 2. I believe they have been D-2 (Class I) since the 2006-2007 school year. Winning games (and championships) has resulted in a much higher level of school spirit and pride. Prior to the move to D-2, the basketball team would have been described as mediocre (at best) since shortly after the base (Pease) closed in the late 80's / early 90's. When the baseball team won a playoff game in 2007, it was the first time in 20 years that they had won a post season game.

Concord is the sixth largest school in the state. I would think there is no way they would want to petition down, nor would the NHIAA let them. Keene is #10, and the same would probably be true of them.

Last edited by SeacoastDad on Tue May 29, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm

The cycle for Timby, Concord, and Keene being bad has been a long, long, long, long, long, long,{you get my point} long time.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Concord could go to D2 in basketball and stay D2 in baseball.

The Concord boys and girls teams went a combined 5 - 31 this season. Even though Concord boys made it in as the 16th seed last season, I think the combined records of the 2 teams weren't too far off from the 5 - 31 this season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 pm

I would wager Kamal Walker would have won player of the year in d1 this season.

Heck, you talk to 10 different people and they give you ten different names for player of the year in d1 this season.

I know it won't happen,. but it should.

Division one hoops shouldn't be the joke that it's becoming.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 pm

It baffles me that Concord is so poor at sports. Our states capitol, one of the larger cities in the state, center of the main highways...and they can't put a competitive product on the high school hardwood...etc.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 am

For Winter sports Concord has been known more of a hockey hotbed than basketball, although this year's hockey team wasn't as good as years past. Of course we could get into the "excuse" of 2-3 athletes going to Pembroke Academy too. Not sure there's much of a feeder system. I know for "travel ball" (up thru 8th grade) there are usually only Y or B&G teams that don't always do so well.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 pm

The combined records of Keene, Timberlane, and Concord for the past 4 seasons in division one boys basketball is 34 wins 182 losses.

Sometimes a program has to take a step back to move forward.

The sad part when I did this was I was surprised they had won 34 games.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Next year Portsmouth, Bedford, and Pembroke should move up to division 1. Empty It seems

Post  Lou Michaels Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 pm

like the entire landscape of NHIAA basketball is confused. D2 top to bottom has great disparity.
Teams do not play everyone. The bottom 6 teams are like 17-91. Some of the score have been really lopsided. Bedford beat Hanover the other night but they didn't play in the regular season. Who knows.

Lou Michaels
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:27 pm

If you move the boys team, I think you have to move the girls team too (or vice-versa). Look at what happened w/ West this year with regard to scheduling. Games on Mon/Thu some weeks. I'm not sure that for each of the schools mentioned whether moving both is the right answer. This is a really tricky issue.... The West girls clearly didn't belong in D1 and D2 wasn't exactly easy either. The West boys probably would have been very competitive in D2 even losing a player later in the season wouldn't have hurt so much.

Remember that Portsmouth used to be the cellar dweller of D2 football, now they thrive in D3. Who's to say the same thing wouldn't happen in basketball or baseball. There were quite a few eyebrows raised last year when Goffstown went down to D2 in basebase especially after years of success in D1... Remind me again, how'd they do there?

Moving Keene, Timby, Concord "down" won't necessarily solve their woes. GNG for some perspective, look at the BG boys basketball record prior to the existing coach... Keene could have been on the right track with their coach that was dismissed mid-season, but with all the shenanigans that took place this year - forget about it... In the end - its about the program that the coaching staff puts in place that draws the athletes to the sport.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down