@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Boy's D1 Semi-Finals

Go down

Boy's D1 Semi-Finals Empty Boy's D1 Semi-Finals

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:33 am

After all the talk about the crazy season it has been in D1 and how double digit seeds could do some damage in the playoffs, we arguably have the 4 best teams in the semi-finals.

6:00 pm Spaulding vs Merrimack:

Team of Destiny vs Team of Recent Good Karma. Spaulding has had 2 emotionally thrilling playoff games in the last week. Roberts hasa been doused with basketball holy water hitting a winning buzzer beater 3 against West and the banka-clank-a-danka-banka 3 pointer at the end of regulation with North to send that game into OT. You have to wonder how Spaulding will handle this trip to UNH emotionally. They've only had 1 day to regroup physically and mentally to get ready for Merrimack. I'm sure the sea of red that will permeate the Spaulding fan side tonight will help the Red Raider players summon some more emotional gas from their back up emotional gas tank and play hard and take this game down to the wire tonight. Merrimack had a lot of bad karma happen to them during the regular season. Well documented injuries sent them into a tail spin of scoring near or at the 40 point team marker in some games. It seems they are getting their offensive mojo back at exactly the right time. They have experienced good karma in the playoffs. Once they got through the OT war with rival BG they found out they didn't have to go to Salem for their quarterfinal game. A Dover wave took care of that for them. Although they were pushed early by Dover they came away with a solid victory and are rested and ready to make a return trip to UNH, a place they haven't seen for a long time.You have to think this game will be close and it will come down to kids who can make plays in the end. Both teams have that.

7:30 pm Central vs Trinity:

What more can these 2 teams do to get ready for each other in the last couple of days? They know each other so well. Maybe putting in a couple of new out of bounds plays or maybe PRACTICE A LOT MORE FREE THROW SHOOTING would have been a great way to spend a majority of their practice time. There are people who have said you can beat Trinity if you get them out on the open floor of UNH and run up and down the floor on their Bigs. Central is one team who has Bigs who can run the floor very well. Artiga, Brown, Joseph and Pelletier can run like guards, defend and rebound like Bigs. Don't short change the athleticism of the Trinity Bigs. Lauderdale is a football tight end. He loves open space. Gabriel can run very well and Aluko is kind of athletically freakish with his 6'10 frame. I think the two teams front lines will negate each other. They both have their pros and cons, but in the end it might be a stalemate. Now, you look at the backcourts. The status of LaCount's injury is the key. I don't doubt he will play, but at what percentage will he be at. If Central has to go for long stetches with a soph backcourt of Plentzas and Dickson this could bear watching. Pelletier and Brown might have to chip in with bringing the ball up against pressure. Now, Trinity has a lot of spring chickens in their back court also. With Giampetruzzi, Keefe and Sistare you have 2 sophs and a freshman. It will be interesting to see how they react to the big game tonight as well. Hamel will be needed to calm down some Pioneer backcourt nerves. Do you really see much of a scoring gap between these 2 teams all night? I don't. In the end it will come down to made free throws and which team can make more plays. We all know both teams can play defense. Who's going to knock down the big shot in the last minute?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Boy's D1 Semi-Finals Empty Re: Boy's D1 Semi-Finals

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 am

Nice preview T&F...

Here's Dave Haleys: http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=806

Jeremy's: http://www.nhnotebook.com/2012/03/division-i-boys-basketball-final-four.html

Fosters on Spaulding/Merrimack: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120313/GJSPORTS_01/703139878/-1/FOSSPORTS

Union Leader on Central/Trinity: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120313/SPORTS/703139963/1003/sports

Nothing from Telegraph

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSports11 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Merrimack wins game one at UNH 53-39. The game was close up until the end of the third when Merrimack ended the quarter up 9 heading into the final frame 43-34. The fourth quarter was an absolute stalemate. The combination of tough defense and tough shots allowed for Merrimack to hold Spaulding to five points, knock down free throws and win handily. The BIGGEST thing I saw was the fact that the Tomahawks simply did whatever they could to eliminate the offensive presence of Dominic Paradis. That in turn killed the Red Raiders in the long haul.

Trinity is up 23-21 at the half after ending on a 5-0 run. Defensive second quarter holds both teams to under ten points. You can tell this game is going to end in dramatic fashion and this place has been loud. Both student sections are certainly taking this city rivalry as no joke.

NHSports11
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Central wins 59-56 in double overtime.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:27 am

2 words are all you need to know about the double OT victory by Central over Trinity:

Troy Pelletier

There will be a lot of words written about this epic game that will be remembered for a long time, especially by the Central faithful, but if you remember the 2 words:

Troy Pelletier

Then you will know all you need to know about this game. He was HUGE all game for Central and finished with 26 points. He saved their season by hitting 2 shots in a row when Central was down by 4 late in the game. If he doesn't hit those shots and Trinity comes back and converts, then Trinity probably wins.

This game definitely solidified him being on my 1st team all state, that I picked 10 days ago, for this season. Pelletier wants the ball when his team needs him and when he takes his shots it's never forced. It's always within the structure of the Central offense.

Now, you didn't hear this from me, but there was a rumor going around the press section of UNH last night that Dave Haley will be putting Troy Pelletier on his 1st team All State when he comes out with his year end awards. Shhhh.....It'll be our little Forum secret. silent silent silent

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 am

I don't have time to post much on the Merrimack - Spaulding game.

Merrimack looked very good and Floras almost looked like he was DIMITRI FLORAS.

With about 4 minutes left in the 3rd period of this game I was receiving texts from some of my Central friends saying the gym was sold out and to keep them informed about the Merry - Spaulding game while they waited in line in 65 degree weather in the middle of March.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  HaleyNHsports on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:05 am

T & F and his rumors kill me...great games last night.

BTW I had Pelletier first team at the mid-way point so I'm not joining that train late;

First Team All-state (first half)

Dimitri Floras of Merrimack

Sean Dunn of Alvirne

Troy Pelletier of Manchester Central

Dominic Paradis of Spaulding

Chris Light of Pinkerton Academy[/b]

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 am

Dave, you would've made a great trial lawyer. You always have solid information to back up your case to the judges and jury of NH high school basketball.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Boy's D1 Semi-Finals Empty Props to a couple of others on TEAM Central

Post  Bert54the1 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Troy Pelletier had a hell of a game on the offensive end. 26 points in 40 minutes on 10 of 20 shooting including 2-4 from the line. In 2013 he is player to be considered.....

However, three other guys Gabe Lacount, Thaddeus Brown,and Isaiah Joseph had much to do with that victory. (I'm not even considering D.D. who set-up things pretty well from the point with 6 points, 3 assists, and only 1 TO)

When I remember the Central victory, I think of the D played by these three, the 25 points they scored on 9-22 shooting including 7-10 from the line. The 17 rebounds they combined on. (7 Lacount, 6 Brown, 4 Joseph) Throw in 7 steals and 5 Assists, all by T. Brown....(By the way Troy had 0 rebounds, 0 Assists, 0 steals, and led the team with 3 TOs)

Central's greatness is TEAM. 6 guys combined for all but 8 minutes...they belonged to Plentzas....all contributed...It's like Hoosiers....5 passes....set a screen...and another.....make the right pass.....It was awesome basketball to watch. Sort of like Spaulding. That's what makes Saturday's match-up so intriguing.

[/i]...I think a couple of other guys stand out for me....if he didn't hit those shots....Lacount or Brown would have done something.......a steal, a rebound....they just make plays.

If Merrimack has any brains, they better be focusing on the dangerous Lacount, Brown,and Joseph right now.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bert: Really? You have again shown a negative aggressive tone in a posting. This Forum isn't for your personal vendetta.)

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Bert - what you're saying is 100% true. Perhaps you could be a little better at choosing your method for going about making your points in the future. Troy had a wonderful shooting night - not unlike many others have had in the past. No, he did not have great stats across the board, but his teamates did.

Not everybody is going to have a triple double every night out. Some guys are scorers, some are rebounders, some are passers, and some are defenders....rarely, are there players that do it all. Most of them play DI basketball at some point. Don't think we have any of those in NHIAA hoops this year unfortunately.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:41 am

Bert, all season long you sure have had access to alot of stats.

How do you get them?

It's as if you took the scorebook home with you.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

"T & F and his rumors kill me..."
Mr Haley

Some would say rumors........Others would say solid inside information in possession of T & F who includes Dave Haley as one of the priviliged few to share in the basketball revelations. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:
Some would say rumors........Others would say solid inside information in possession of T & F who includes Dave Haley as one of the priviliged few to share in the basketball revelations. Wink

Soon to become legends as each season ends....

Admin

Back to top Go down

Boy's D1 Semi-Finals Empty Stats

Post  Lou Michaels on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm not sure about all season long. It would be great if they did provide stats at the quarters and end of game for the fans. Just like watching college games. But they had them at UNH the other night. I walked past the table after the Central game and grabbed a copy. Maybe that's where they came from. Didn't sound like stats from a scorebook.

The idea of a Team rebound sounded strange . Trinity had a half dozen on the sheet.

Lou Michaels
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Lou...welcome to the forum. During playoff games at SNHU or UNH they have staff that provide quarter by quarter statistics on rebounds, points, assists, to's etc. This type of info is typically used by writers for their stories (although you wont' find it in a ton of "print" stories). Providing it to the public means a logistics issue...when you provide to one, you have to provide to all 3,000.

NHSportsPage does a pretty good job of points stats, and if the site continues to grow, may include more (I know Mr. Haley would love to have a staff of 20 watching games keeping stats) but right now its a one or two man show just trying to get info to the masses. Its a lot of work getting stats. UNH/SNHU provide it b/c they get $$ for hosting the semi's and can afford to pay students/interns to assist...otherwise you won't get those stats throughout the year.

Good question and I agree - it would be fantastic to have that data as a fan, unfortunately, right now, not feasible I don't think.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum