@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

2012 baseball

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2012 baseball

Post  nhball9 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 pm

This weather is crazy! Let's hope it continues.
Who are the favorites this year? (yes, we know who the BG crew is picking)
Saw a lot of games this past summer and fall. I think Division 1 shows a lot of parity (going on who is coming back from last year). The years of the super teams are almost done.
I think (no order) Concord, North, Keene, BG, Central and Londonderry are the top teams this year. *Disclaimer* I know full-well that pre-season doesn't mean anything, this is just fun.
The top pitchers in the division have to be Dionne from Concord, Mellin from North, McCarthy from BG, Kinnon from Londonderry, Chrisite from South. Mark my words, pitcher by the name of Bobby Dow at Spaulding might be the top in the state (apologies to above mentioned).
Top hitters McIntyre from Concord, McCarthy from BG, Kinnon from Londonderry, Provencher at Central, Dow at Spaulding, Reed at South, most of Keene Wink, and many more I am sure I am missing.
Let's hear from you guys bounce

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 baseball

Post  E.I.R. on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 pm

McCarthy from BG has been reported near 90, but he's just one guy. The key for BG is to have big seasons from Jeff Lunn (GNG's favorite for basketball) and Matt Morais, both JV players last year but capable of hitting low to mid-80s. They should also have a pretty good offense this year with some of the kids they have coming back. Can't say I know too much about the other teams going into this year, hopefully one of the baseball guy's can help out.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Tough to omit Salem and Merrimack from the argument here. Salem has had the top Sr. Babe team the last couple years and their JV's were pretty good too. Merrimack has Hudon at the top and has been battling Salem & Londonderry during wood bat season that last couple years. Their Jr. Legion team went to the regionals last year, so there is talent in the pipeline. Londonderry will have a good R/L rotation going beyond a few players I'm not sure what the lineup brings. South will probably have some growing pains with a new coach and system, but if they can come together - who knows. North's hitters may take some time to hit their stride - it's a whole different world hitting Varsity pitching vs. JV. Definitely something that hurt BG last year - that is to not have had anyone getting AB's the previous year. Last year BG was fortunate to have 2 seasoned pitchers and got a very good surprise for a closer. This year Jeff/Matt behind Joe will turn some heads. A number of players got AB's last year so that will certainly help. Alvirne has some fearless hitters in their lineups - not sure what their pitching brings though. They did have a top Jr. Legion team last year - so that has to mean something. Spaulding always seems to bring a good team and if folks remember a lot of underclassman got a lot of innings last year.

I think there could be a lot of parity again this year - I believe a lot will come down to matchups and whether any team can find a solid #3 and a closer. Can teams extend the #1 pitcher through AB's and dig into the bullpen.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSports11 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am

I heard there are four kids who will be sitting around 90mph this year. Big Joe McCarthy (BG) apparently hit 90 at an open gym two weeks ago. I look for him to have a great year on the hill. Jake Mellin (Nashua North) was sitting at 86-87 at the end of the fall season last year. He looks to lead NN just as Turner did last year on the hill. Eddie Dionne (Concord) was consistently 85-87 during showcase baseball last fall. He will try and bring consistency on the mound for a powerhouse lineup. Ted Christie (Nashua South) seems to gain velocity year by year and is poised to have a good senior season. His fastball sits around 86-88 as of the end of fall. The last guy, who is my sleeper of the year is Clay Welch (Manchester West) who was hitting 86-87 during the fall showcase league. The only problem is that team has no other talent besides him. I'm excited to see Bobby Dow (Spaulding) play again after being one of the many suspended off the team last year. Depending on whether or not he catches or pitches he could be one of the most dangerous players in all of division one. This season will more than likely bring many surprises and I'm looking forward to watching a good year of high school baseball. Also, does anybody have anything on Timby? After their semi-final run last year, could they be a contender again? Any sleeper teams to watch out for?

NHSports11
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:26 pm

NHSports11 wrote:I heard there are four kids who will be sitting around 90mph this year. Big Joe McCarthy (BG) apparently hit 90 at an open gym two weeks ago. I look for him to have a great year on the hill. Jake Mellin (Nashua North) was sitting at 86-87 at the end of the fall season last year. He looks to lead NN just as Turner did last year on the hill. Eddie Dionne (Concord) was consistently 85-87 during showcase baseball last fall. He will try and bring consistency on the mound for a powerhouse lineup. Ted Christie (Nashua South) seems to gain velocity year by year and is poised to have a good senior season. His fastball sits around 86-88 as of the end of fall. The last guy, who is my sleeper of the year is Clay Welch (Manchester West) who was hitting 86-87 during the fall showcase league. The only problem is that team has no other talent besides him. I'm excited to see Bobby Dow (Spaulding) play again after being one of the many suspended off the team last year. Depending on whether or not he catches or pitches he could be one of the most dangerous players in all of division one. This season will more than likely bring many surprises and I'm looking forward to watching a good year of high school baseball. Also, does anybody have anything on Timby? After their semi-final run last year, could they be a contender again? Any sleeper teams to watch out for?

I think your velocity reports may be a bit overstated. If McCarthy is sitting at 90, then I would assume that he's capable of topping around 92-93. The other guys you mention, would top out around 90. Mellin is the only one I'm aware of that has a D1 offer (I know McCarthy is committed to D 2 SNHU.) If you are a RHP and have had the proper exposure, there should have been multiple D1 offers for all the kids you list. Keep in mind, there are kids in lower divisions that throw as hard, or harder, than all you have listed. There is also the bigger issue if they can also pitch and have several other pitches aside from the fastball.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSports11 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Nowhere did I say that McCarthy wouldn't be able to hit 92-93 during the year. Also, all of the guys listed were from the fall of 2011. Hence, no overstatement when I would assume all of them should be hitting 90 this year as long as they all conditioned this off season and are also in their best shape. I also know for a fact there are kids in lower divisions who throw just as hard, but I was strictly talking division one baseball so no offense to those lower division kids not mentioned. And lastly, after seeing many kids over the years who throw 88-92 and go either division two or division three goes to show how having only Dartmouth as a DI college team in NH affects them. Let's say you throw 85 as a sophomore, 88 as a junior, and 90 as a senior. You would assume a DI scholarship, BUT one of the biggest problems with that is exposure. If that pitcher doesn't play travel ball, attend multiple showcases, and spend big bucks their chances of being found are MUCH more slim. I'm not saying it cannot be done because it can, but it is just a lot harder of a feat to accomplish. tongue

NHSports11
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Have to agree with the overstatement call on McCarthy, no way he is sitting 90. If he hit 92-93 he is drafted in the late rounds this year and there is no NH kid good enough to be drafted this year. There are a lot of inaccurate guns out there, haven't been calibrated or guns that "go off of guns that 'have been' calibrated". Prediction right now: the hardest throwing pitcher this year will live at 86-88 at the most.
A college coach's general rule is to take off 4-5 mph on reports they hear and go solely on what they see with their own eyes. I would say that is a very accurate way to go.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

NHSports11 wrote:Nowhere did I say that McCarthy wouldn't be able to hit 92-93 during the year. Also, all of the guys listed were from the fall of 2011. Hence, no overstatement when I would assume all of them should be hitting 90 this year as long as they all conditioned this off season and are also in their best shape. I also know for a fact there are kids in lower divisions who throw just as hard, but I was strictly talking division one baseball so no offense to those lower division kids not mentioned. And lastly, after seeing many kids over the years who throw 88-92 and go either division two or division three goes to show how having only Dartmouth as a DI college team in NH affects them. Let's say you throw 85 as a sophomore, 88 as a junior, and 90 as a senior. You would assume a DI scholarship, BUT one of the biggest problems with that is exposure. If that pitcher doesn't play travel ball, attend multiple showcases, and spend big bucks their chances of being found are MUCH more slim. I'm not saying it cannot be done because it can, but it is just a lot harder of a feat to accomplish. tongue

Mellin hooked on with Northeast Baseball at the end of the summer...that is how Hartford found him, so you are correct, you need to get out there. I know of an NH kid on the same team that hit 92 at the end of the summer and the offers rolled in. I would agree, being on the right team in the summer has everything to do with it. These guys don't scout high school games, they are busy with their own season.

When you say "sitting" I interpret that as the average on their fastball. When I say "topping out" it means that once in a while, they will bust a fastball that is several miles an hour faster. Might be semantics, but scouts look at the average fastball (your sitting) and also what they top out at (the occasional pitch a few miles per hour over.) With McCarthy's size, if he was even in the mid 80's consistently last year and got the right exposure, somebody would have taken a flyer at the D1 level. I've seen him pitch and I don't see him anywhere near 90. We can agree to disagree.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 am

Hey fellow forumites-

We're going to carry HS & Legion Baseball (and HS Softball) play by play this Spring. Is there a good place to find stats as the year progresses (or stats from previous seasons)?

Thanks guys!

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 am

JustinMcIsaac wrote:Hey fellow forumites-

We're going to carry HS & Legion Baseball (and HS Softball) play by play this Spring. Is there a good place to find stats as the year progresses (or stats from previous seasons)?

Thanks guys!

Our buddy at NHSportsPage will have the most current data statewide - otherwise I think you're searching (what available) boxscores in the online newspaper sites for the teams respective regions...good luck with that!

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

2012 season

Post  NH12345 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I think you have your facts a little off. Jake Mellin already had a verbal commitment from the University of Hartford before he hooked on with Northeast. He played a season in the Showcase League and received that offer based on that along with an great junior season at Nashua North.
As for Joe McCarthy last year during the Showcase League game at SNHU he sat 86 on SNHU's gun and hit 88 multiple times during the game. After that performance they wanted to sign him immediately. Also, I know he hit 89 once last fall at Colby Sawyer during a fall Showcase League game. He is very capable of hitting 90 this spring, and by the time he is done at SNHU he should be sitting 90, if he can show some consistency at 90 this spring it would not surprise me if he is drafted in the late rounds of the amateur draft.
The interesting aspect to this season is going to be the switch in bats. Going to BBCOR should lower batting averages and lower pitcher's ERAs. It will be interesting to see how the hitters adjust and how the pitchers take advantage.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 pm

NH12345 wrote: I think you have your facts a little off. Jake Mellin already had a verbal commitment from the University of Hartford before he hooked on with Northeast. He played a season in the Showcase League and received that offer based on that along with an great junior season at Nashua North.
As for Joe McCarthy last year during the Showcase League game at SNHU he sat 86 on SNHU's gun and hit 88 multiple times during the game. After that performance they wanted to sign him immediately. Also, I know he hit 89 once last fall at Colby Sawyer during a fall Showcase League game. He is very capable of hitting 90 this spring, and by the time he is done at SNHU he should be sitting 90, if he can show some consistency at 90 this spring it would not surprise me if he is drafted in the late rounds of the amateur draft.
The interesting aspect to this season is going to be the switch in bats. Going to BBCOR should lower batting averages and lower pitcher's ERAs. It will be interesting to see how the hitters adjust and how the pitchers take advantage.

I'll take your word on the Showcase thing regarding Mellin, however, the high school season would have had nothing to do with it. College coaches can't scout HS games (they are busy with their own season) and frankly don't put much stock in them.

The numbers you are quoting on McCarthy are as good, if not better than Joey Maher prior to him getting drafted. That is the reason I have my doubts.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Actually crazy carl any decent college program has a staff (between numerous assistant coaches and volunteer coaches) that is big enough to scout high school games. So let's not come out and say how useless high school baseball is to the recruiting process. Which is what you are implying. The bottom line is if you are good enough you can only play one season out of the year and the college will find you.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 pm

nhball9 wrote:Actually crazy carl any decent college program has a staff (between numerous assistant coaches and volunteer coaches) that is big enough to scout high school games. So let's not come out and say how useless high school baseball is to the recruiting process. Which is what you are implying. The bottom line is if you are good enough you can only play one season out of the year and the college will find you.
Colleges would rather see NH kids pitch against high level college prep teams than their high school teams. Blowing away a roster that has one or two legit hitters does not impress anyone, at any level.

The majority of kids in NH that have been granted scholarships to D1 schools or have been fortunate enough to have been drafted have gotten the vast majority of their exposure from their summer league team. As I stated earlier...very little stock is put into high school stats and performance. That can't be argued.

Also, no "decent" program in the northeast will have the staff or the motivation to scout regular season NH HS games. The only time they show up is when their college season is over and they can catch playoff or championship games. Schools outside of NE won't even bother, even if they had the staff. The vast majority of programs recruit locally for financial and many other reasons. The notion that colleges will "find you" is flat out not true.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Sorry JAF. I agree with you.

Last edited by nhball9 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Not in right area)

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 pm

nhball9 wrote:We will agree to disagree. I have extensive college recruitment experience over the years and I respectfully disagree with your statements.

No problem...I just don't understand this sentence...
The bottom line is if you are good enough you can only play one season out of the year and the college will find you.

What does "one season out of the year" mean?

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Please steer back to the main topic - 2012 baseball season...

Create another topic about recruiting if you wish to continue - I'll even move the last few responses there. But if it's more than 2 people talking, you'd be better served PM'ing. I do think it's an interesting conversation though as anyone who has been through it could possibly disseminate good information to those that may be getting to that time in their child's baseball "career".

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

2012 Season

Post  NH12345 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I think the biggest question this year is going to be the BBCOR bats. They are like swinging a lead pipe. I am interested to see how some of those teams that used to be hitting .350 as a team will fair this year with those bats.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastime714 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 am

In college last year the numbers were down. However the good hitters still hit. I think it will separate the good hitters from the field.

Pastime714
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Right the weaker hitters who used to be able to just get a "lucky" swing on the ball and get the ball out of the infield or if they were really lucky shoot a gap - well they will now be hitting popups or grounders to infielders.

Real hitters are affected, but there's less chance their swing and resulting hit is going to take a body part on its way out of the infield. They'll probably hit more long/lazy fly balls as opposed to moon shots that leave the park.

There are (now) TWO BBCOR bats that are deemed illegal:

#1 Marucci Cat5 33 inch
#2 Reebok Vector TLS 33-inch model

You may also see more players swinging wood bats because they like them better. For anyone considering a non single piece of wood bat for their child (eg, a bamboo bat or a composite wood bat) - be sure the non single piece of wood bat has a BBCOR stamp on it. A "true" wood bat - one made from a single piece of wood (like many of us older farts used growing up) are fine as long as they meet "other" requirements that define a bat (eg, must have knob, handle, barrel, taper, and cap), be 36" or less, and for George Brett have no pine tar beyond 18" from the knob.

BTW: If a player enters the batters box with an illegal bat, he will be declared out. There is no warning - that's taken care of at the plate conference when the umpire asks the coach if his players are equipped and using equipment per Federation rules.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Wood bat rule

Post  CP398 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 pm

JAF is the batter out or also out of the game if they enter with an I'llillegal wood bat?

CP398
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 am

Just "out" in the sense of a baseball out. The coach however is a different story since he is the one that indicated prior to the game that everyone would be using proper equipment.

Whether the coach is upset enough to remove that player from the game is another story. On the first occurrence, the head coach is restricted to the dugout. The second time he's ejected. The third time the assistant is ejected... etc.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

2012 Season

Post  NH12345 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 am

JAF,
In federation rules the umpires check all equipment before the game. Doesn't that mean that the burden of whether equipment is legal or not falls on their shoulders? If I was a coach and they checked my team's bats and said they were good and then restricted me to the dugout later in the game for use of a bat that was deemed acceptable by them in the beginning of the contest I would be extremely upset.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  bb603 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 pm

I beleive he is referencing a situation when a player brings a bat to the plate that was not approved by the umpire.

The umpire would approve the bats that are acceptable for use.

If a player attempts to use a bat that was not approved he would be the responsible party.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:54 pm

In 2012 a change was made so that umpires do not check equipment before the game unless requested to do so by one coach, in which case both teams equipment will be checked.

The onus is on the manager who at the plate conference will answer "YES" to "Are you teams properly equipped according to Federation Standards?".

To take it one step further.. It is entirely possible a player has hidden their illegal bat in a bag. Even though the umpire has checked the equipment the player would still be out and the coach restricted. If the coach doesn't like it or argues further it probably won't do much good.

Why would you use an illegal bat anyway? In the end, the manager/coach is now responsible. It's an interesting switch, but lets face who sees the kids more often and who should be telling them to not use illegal equipment? It should only happen once, but if not part of the process also requires the umpire to send a note to the supervisor of officials if a coach is restricted to the dugout. Thus if it continually happens to one coach "someone" will get to know about that.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum