@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

BG vs Londonderry Girl's Championship

Go down

BG vs Londonderry Girl's Championship

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 am

BG beat Londonderry 59 - 36 in the regular season. That was last year in December. There is no question the Lancers are playing better basketball in the 2nd half. They are a young team that is playing with no fear right now. They were very aggressive against Winny in the semi finals. They forced Winny into a lot of uncharacteristic turnovers. The Lancers clogged the Winny passing lanes. Any points Winny got on Wednesday night they had to really work for.

BG showed a team resolve in beating Memorial in OT. Their season was in the balance when Memorial was up 35 to 30 late in the 4th period. BG pounced on some Crusader mistakes and converted at their offensive end to get back in the game. Hayner and Gibbs came up big with their 3 shots. Hayner also played tough physical defense on Elezovic in the 2nd half to pick up the loss of Kerutis in the game.

The biggest key to the game is Meghan Green and foul trouble. She picked up 2 quick ones and Memorial never really took advantage with paint points to get some scoring margin in the 1st half over BG. If Green gets in early foul trouble I think Londonderry will take better advantage of it than Memorial did. Londonderry's Casey Evans is only a freshman, but her game is 1 to 5 feet from the hoop and she finishes. BG did a good job of masking the fact they didn't have Green for good stretches of the fist half. I don't think they would be as successful trying to do this against the stronger Londonderry team.

Second key is at the point guard position. Sherburne vs Simpson. 2 of the best 5 point guards in D1. This will be a fascinating matchup. Simpson needs to score more points for Londonderry to be successful. Sherburne is content with setting up mates and scoring when needed. Sherburne has a knack for getting a hoop when BG REALLY NEEDS ONE.

Part of me says Londonderry is a year away while BG is the more seasoned team and will take the title. Part of me says Londonderry is playing hungry and physical ball and will ride their wave of momentum right to hoisting the championship plaque.

All of me says it will be a great matchup and a great game at 7:30 on Saturday.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: BG vs Londonderry Girl's Championship

Post  nhhssports on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Don't forget the D2 girls final between Souhegan and Kearsarge is tonight. Definitely not the matchup anyone would have picked two weeks ago, especially considering Kearsarge had one win against a winning team before the playoffs started, and that was in December against Hopkinton, which was 12-6 in D3.

Souhegan has been notorious the last two years for playing down to opponents early in games, and after a draining semifinal win over Lebanon, it should an interesting start. Souhegan does have the best player on the floor in Jane White and it would be no surprise if she takes over the game in the second half.

Kearsarge keeps it close in the first half, Souhegan pulls away in the third quarter and hangs on in the fourth.

nhhssports
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Girls Title Games

Post  NHRamFan on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 pm

No doubt that the D2 game does NOT include the teams many expected to be here...however, both earned their way. Jane White is the real deal - she can dictate the tempo, score and set up her teammates at will. In addition, Souhegan learned to play without her when she was out nursing an ankle sprain. Kearsarge will undoubtedly be playing without Morgan Church...a serious blow to their chances. Page, Cahill and Levesque will be called on to do a lot more for their team to keep it close. The real key will be the pace of the game...if Kearsarge can slow things down and patiently work for the best available shot, they have a chance. A fast paced game will most definitely favor Souhegan.

D1 will be very interesting. Londonderry is a completely different team than the one that BG blew out in December. Then again, so is BG (Kerutis' questionable status). The point guards will determine the outcome. Both Sherburne and Simpson play ahead of themselves at times. Both are capable of defending hard; hitting outside shots; getting to the rim for spectacular finishes and can find their teammates with great passes. The key will be which one sets up their teammates for success. No doubt that each team can hit the outside shot (King and Bolduc for Londonderry; Hayner and Gibbs for BG); and both teams have bigs who can bang and finish (Green for BG; Evans and Caron for Londonderry). Agree with T and F that Green has to stay on the floor. Londonderry has 3 bigs that can play; BG is thin in that department. Difficult game to predict...but I suspect it will be close the whole way!!

Too bad these games aren't back to back on the same day...we could learn a lesson from our neighbors to the south and east when it comes to showcasing high school hoops. But that's a topic for another day....

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:31 pm

No prediction yet NHRamFan?... Or are you going to give it a restful night and then give it to us tomorrow?

I'm going to try to decipher what is happening at the Pioneer, Little Green, Titan and Tomahawk gyms tonight and the aftermath, then I'll have a clear mental state to focus on the matchups for the big one at SNHU tomorrow between BG and Londonderry and come out with a prediction.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 am

Nice story on freshman starter Casey Evans of Londonderry and the obstacles she's had to overcome to pursue her basketball career.

http://www.wmur.com/r-video/30583607/detail.html

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: BG v. Londonderry Girls' Championship

Post  NHRamFan on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm not the predicting type....but I will go the if/then route:

*If Londonderry isn't able to contain Green inside, look for a big BG win. She will alternately score and draw enough attention for Sherburne/Hayner/Gibbs to knock down outside shots.

*If Londonderry is able to contain Green, the pressure will be on BG to hit the aforementioned shots - they hit enough, Londonderry will be forced to adjust, opening things up for Green again. Result: BG win. They don't hit the shots: Londonderry win.

*Londonderry does not tend to take advantage of its size, opting for a somewhat smaller lineup. If coach Fagula goes big tonight(Caron in place of Dzenis), then BG will have matchup problems. Put Caron and Evans on the floor and BG could have troubles defending inside. Result: Londonderry win.

*How closely the game is called will play a role as well. Both teams have players who like to body up, especially in the open court. Let them play and the more physical team has the advantage.

*Unknown factor: can/does Kerutis play for BG. If she does play, will she be back up to game speed and shape. She's been sitting for over two weeks.

*The much anticipated PG battle between sophomores Simpson and Sherburne....they are two of the best players in the state - regardless of grade. Sherburne was the better player in December; Simpson will have something to prove tonight. They both have a warrior mentality. It says here they battle to a draw tonight.

*Coaching savvy: nod here goes to Londonderry. Been there/done that.

A lot of if/thens on the table....if forced to predict, my gut tells me BG in a squeaker: 58-54.

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Final BG 46 Londonderry 43

A very thrilling game that went down to the wire.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:54 am

Who was number 11 for BG?

What year is she?

ABSOLUTE BEAST OF A DEFENDER.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am

T@F, that was a GREAT piece on Casey Evans. I have a new favorite player to root for.

She might only be a freshman ,but she's a player.

She was playing like a senior last night, can't wait to see her when she is a senior.

Seems like there is a ton of underclassmen Talent on the girl's level in division one.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 pm

#11 for BG is Megan Kerutis. It was a gutsy performance for her as she was playing in her first game back after missing 2 weeks with a concussion. Kerutis and Casey Evans-Driscoll are both only freshman. Both BG and Londonderry only graduate 1 senior each, plus they both had very good JV teams this year and BG gets Paige Parkinson back next year too.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum